zvelo’s mission is to make the internet safer and more secure for users. With that in mind, we are kicking off October with a blog series in recognition of Cybersecurity Awareness Month. This series will last throughout the month covering key topics like Phishing, Artificial Intelligence, Cryptojacking, IoT, Security Strategy and Architecture, and more.
In the event you missed it, we published a piece in August about the Rise of Single-Use Phishing URLs and the Need for Zero-Second Detection. In this post, we present the challenges in detecting and protecting against phishing attacks as we see the lifespan of phishing URLs drop from hours, to minutes, to seconds. Below, we share a couple of main points from that article, as well as actionable steps you can take to thwart these attacks:
- A single-use, or one-time use, phishing URL is a specially-crafted address that is valid for one access only. What we see as the ‘next generation’ of spear phishing.
- The median time for the first user to click on a phishing URL is only four minutes, but the increased adoption of ‘single-use’ phishing URLs slashes the time to live down to zero seconds from first user access.
- What are the top actionable steps you can take to fight against phishing attacks:
- Streamline workflows — It should take no longer than one hour at the most, from the time of phishing detection to the time your database protecting users are updated.
- Implement real-time, in-line phishing detection to close the detection gap for single-use phishing URLs and provide zero-second detection.
- The human layer is always the weakest link. Implement programs that train your users to be more informed about the latest tactics, biggest threats and ways to identify phishing scams.
When it comes to phishing detection and protection, you are literally racing against a very fast clock. If you’re not maximizing your phishing detection and protection services — Cybersecurity Awareness Month is the perfect time to take a look at steps you can take to improve!
Join zvelo in in our mission to make the internet safer and more secure by subscribing to our blog. We’ll help you keep up to date on the latest industry trends, top threats, news and, most importantly, strategies for how we can partner in delivering a worry-free digital experience, powering safe and secure connections from applications and devices all the way through to users.